Short term plan
Long-term plan unit 4: The world of work School: Bulan secondary school
Date: Teacher name: Zhalekenova G.K.
Class: 5 Number present: absent:
Lesson title: Professions
Learning objectives(s) that this lesson is contributing to 5.L5 understand most specific information and detail of short, supported talk on a wide range of familiar topics
5.S3 give an opinion at sentence level on a limited range of general and curricular topics
5. UE6 use basic personal pronouns on a limited range of familiar general and curricular topics
All learners will be able to
• know the different types of jobs
• use the information to make sentences which describe professions
• practice speaking skills using personal pronouns, and adjectives while working in pairs (in groups) with some support
Most learners will be able to
• develop their listening and speaking skills by describing professions using new vocabulary and grammar
• increase their ability to identify the speaker’s point of view in a short speech on the general topic while working in groups
Some students will be able to
• develop their critical thinking skills by giving their own opinions about professions with no support
• practice speaking skills using grammar while working in pairs (in groups) to develop their ability to recognize the specific information in the speech
Assessment criteria Learners achieve learning objectives if they
• Make some sentences about professions using personal pronouns, character adjectives
• Provide a point of view in connected sentences
• Speak widely on the topic using their knowledge and imagination
Value links Respect, responsibility, hardworking. “Improvements of quality of people’s lives according to the high level of all professions.” (Value 5. Mangilik El)
Cross-curricular links Natural science, history, technology
ICT skills Projector or Smartboard, video materials for the topic, grammar and song.
Previous learning True friends (Character adjectives)
Planned timings Planned activities (replace the notes below with your planned activities) Resources
Learning and lesson objectives presentation.
(W) T: -Hello, everybody. I’m glad to see you! How are you? I’m sure, that you are full of energy and ready to make our lesson interesting and to be active.
Children, please, stand up and make a circle. Plays melody and children sing a greeting song in three languages. We are going to be in The World of Profession at the end of the lesson. We’ll choose our transport(plane, train or bus). Now I’ll divide you into two groups, take your tickets with pictures. P1-book is for teachers, and P2-plus is a symbol of doctors. Group1-teachers, group2-doctors. Take your seats!
-What kind of professions do you know?
E.g:-I am ill today. I have a headache and I should go to the doctor. So the subject of our lesson today is “Professions”. What is a profession? Profession-a job that needs special education and training. E.g: I studied at the University and got a teaching profession. Not-professions -can be done without special education. There are a lot of professions in the world, and we are going to speak about them and describe jobs in pair and group work using adjectives, personal pronouns, video materials, flashcards and posters.
Lead-in Vocabulary work
• S. Activity 1 (W) «Magic eyes» T. shows the cards with pictures of professions, puts them in one line and learners at first listen, then repeat in chorus with the teacher. T removes cards one by one and continues repeating in chorus from the beginning. (a doctor, an engineer, a builder, a teacher, a policeman, a pilot, a scientist, a soldier, a cook, a postman, a driver, a fireman, a nurse, a shop assistant, a vet, a librarian, a gardener.)
Differentiation tasks 2,3
• Activity 2 Put the cards on the right column, complete the table (G1), G2)
• T. asks learners about the adjectives using their previous knowledge and adds some more character adjectives to describe professions. T shows with actions give examples and explain unknown adjectives’ meanings.
Brave, kind, hardworking, creative, careful, responsible, kind, polite, and strong.
* (W) T. shows the presentation with new words, and learners write the words in their vocabulary:
• L. Activity 3: T. shows the Video “Professions”, and gives tasks to each group. (G) Group1- Name all the professions mentioned in the video. Group2-Match line A with line B. Line A Line B
1.a doctor a) protects the nation 2. an engineer b) teaches students 3. a teacher c) catches thieves 4. a policeman d) drives the bus 5. a pilot e) treats the patients 6. a scientist f) cooks food in restaurants 7. a soldier g) builds roads and buildings 8. a chef h) invents new things 9. a postman i) operates aeroplane 10. a bus driver j) delivers posts Answer keys: 1-e, 2-g, 3-b, 4-c, 5-i, 6-h, 7- f, 8-a, 9-j, 10-d
UE. Activity 4: T. gives the flashcards, words with character adjectives and learners put the correct word under each suitable picture. (G)
G1 a teacher-clever, a doctor-responsible, an engineer-hardworking, a fireman-brave, a scientist-creative, a driver-careful, a librarian-friendly, a postman-polite.
G2 Find jobs typical for men, women and both. Men-a mechanics, a policeman, a pilot, a fireman, a soldier, and engineers.
Women-a librarian, a nurse, a shop assistants. Both-a teachers, a doctor, a cook, a scientist, a vet, and a driver.
It’s time to relax. Sing the song `It’s my job` Let’s sing and do it! I am a policeman from the town. All day long I walk around. It’s my job, It’s what I do. It’s my job, I like it too!
UE. Grammar T explains according to the table Subject and object(personal) pronouns using their native language knowledge. Subject pronouns(жіктеу есімдіктері) I, you, he, she, it, we, they. Object(жіктеу есімдіктері барыс септігінде) pronouns Me, you, him, her, it, us, them.
Activity 5: (G)
G1. T gives a short text to find subject and object pronouns.
Hi! My name is Asel. I am 10. Look at me! I am happy. This is my friend Aiman. Look at her! She is beautiful. She is 10, like me. We are from Kazakhstan.
G2 Replace the words in bold with the correct pronoun.
- Aigul is 11. (she)
- Look at Murat and Arman. (them)
- Murat and Arman are pupils. (they)
- Where is Tom from? (he)
- Dana and I are from Astana. (we)
- Look at Olga. Olga is from Russia. (her, she)
Activity 6: (W) Listen to the jobs song from the video and find pronouns.
He is a pilot. She is a nurse. Etc. Learners give their own opinions and make some correct sentences.
S. (P) Answer the following questions and speak about your family using pronouns, adjectives and professions.
-What is your mother? (father, brother, sister, aunt. Uncle)
-What is she/he like? Learners make a short dialogue.
(I) T. asks each learner one by one -Who works Shifts? Long hours? Full-time? Part-time? Tells the class.
• Learners are given cards with questions. They should answer individually.
• E.g: Who works shifts? -a fireman, a nurse, a doctor. Long hours?-a driver, a scientist. Full-time?-a teacher, a librarian, a vet. Part-time?-a babysitter, a deliverer, a waiter.
Home task: to prepare a short presentation `The world of work `
- cards with adjectives
- Answer keys
- words with character adjectives
- table Subject and object(personal) pronouns
5 minutes Feedback At the end «Funny tasks»
• A profession which is not in our life
a) a taxi driver b) a doctor c) a magician
• The best ‘green’ profession
а) a teacher b) a gardener c) a dentist
• The ‘sweetest’ profession
а) a cook b) a librarian c) a painter
• The ‘funniest’ profession
а) a journalist b) a funnyman c) a pilot
• The most ‘responsible’ profession
а) a teacher b) a dancer c) a singer
• The ‘highest’ profession
а) a pilot b) a gardener c) a driver…
- Name Very good Good Not very well
- I took part in …
- Vocabulary work
- Speaking about professions
- Work in pairs/ in groups
- Listening to the sentences
- Doing tasks (new words, grammar)
- Giving opinions about the profession
- My score is _____
Let’s see how successful we’ve been during the lesson. I’m glad that most answers were correct. Everyone was super. Your ideas were exciting and attractive! I hope you enjoyed this lesson. We’ll go to `The world of work` by plane! Have a good day. Bye!
- Differentiation – how do you plan to give more support? How do you plan to challenge the more able learners? Assessment – how are you planning to check learners’ learning? Cross-curricular links
- More support can be given in Activity 2 when they complete the chart by providing less-able learners with examples or words to make up the sentence and in Activity 3 while matching lines also less-able learners can be given the model of jobs so that they can just find activities to the professions.
- Learners who are less confident at describing professions can be given a picture or a word
- More able learners can be encouraged to give their own opinions and make some correct sentences with grammar and vocabulary. • Monitor when you show the flashcards of professions in Activity 1
- Monitor when learners write their vocabulary about jobs in Activity 3
- Assessment criteria, control card
- Monitor when they ask questions in Activity 6
- Natural science, technology and history when learners speak about professions, their family jobs and make a presentation in Activities 4, 5 and Activity 6 they develop their creativity, love and respect for the professions
- Make sure learners have sufficient space to do physical activity.
- Use of Smartboard or projector while presenting the words and tasks
- Everyday classroom precautions will ensure that safety measures are provided to prevent the exposure of electrical power cords
- Were the lesson objectives/learning objectives realistic?
- What did the learners learn today?
- What was the learning atmosphere like?
- Did my planned differentiation work well?
- Did I stick to timings? What changes did I make to my plan and why? Use the space below to reflect on your lesson. Answer the most relevant questions from the box on the left about your task.
- What two things went really well (consider both teaching and learning)?
- What two things would have improved the lesson (consider both teaching and learning)?
- What have I learned from this lesson about the class or individuals that will inform my next lesson?